Public Speaking: Presentation Survival School
This course will teach you how to manage your thoughts, body language, nervousness, and speech patterns to present yourself professionally. You’ll also learn how to present at meetings, use the five-S pattern to prepare a good presentation, and punch up your presentation with visual aids.
– Establish rapport with your audience
– Implement techniques to reduce nervousness and fear
– Understand your strengths as a presenter and how to appeal to different types of people
– Recognize how visual aids can create impact and attention
– Develop techniques to create a professional presence
– Learn some different ways to prepare and organize information
– Prepare, practice, and deliver a short presentation
Session One: Course Overview
- Learning Objectives
- Pre-Course Assessment
Session Two: Communication
- About Communication
- Simple Conversations
Session Three: Stop! Check Your Mouth!
- Speaking Characteristics
- Gender References Exercise
- Acronyms and Jargon
- Five Good Rules
Session Four: What Is Your Type? How About Mine?
- The Assessment
- Identifying Your Characteristics and Preferences
- What Does it Mean to Have a Number?
- What Is Important?
- People That Are Most Like Me
- People That Are Least Like Me
Session Five: Positive Self-Talk
- Our Thoughts
- The Steps to Feeling Good
- Thinking Positively
Session Six: Rapport
- Building Rapport
- Making Connections: Self-Disclosure
- Creating an Introduction
Session Seven: Maximizing Meetings
- Four Areas of Opportunity
- Fifteen Ways to Master a Meeting
- Mastering Your Meeting Exercise
- Learning Names
Session Eight: Body Language
- Body Language Signals
Session Nine: Sticky Situations
- Are You Comfortable?
- Dealing with Tough Situations
- Dressing Up
Session Ten: I Can Just Send an E-mail, Right?
- Advantages of an Oral Presentation
- Oratory Exercise
- Oratory Exercise: Practice Paragraph
Session Eleven: Overcoming Nervousness
- About Nervousness
- Nervousness Can Have Many Sources
- Putting Yourself in Control
- Mastering Non-verbal Communication
Session Twelve: The Five S’s
- Five Points for Any Presentation
- Framework Example
- Preparing with the Five-S Pattern
Session Thirteen: Start Writing!