Adobe Illustrator CC: Part 1
To meet the demands of individuals and organizations for flexible, reusable, and easily modified visual content, Adobe Systems has created a cadre of applications that collectively provide a scalable, end-to-end solution for nearly every type of visual design project one can contemplate. Called Creative Cloud®, the collection of applications perform specialized design tasks while inter-operating among each other to deliver content.
This course focuses on Adobe® Illustrator® CC, the component within Creative Cloud used to create “drawn” graphics, while enabling its users to integrate content from other domains (such as photo-oriented graphics and animation, which belong to Adobe® Photoshop® and other applications). With Illustrator’s many easily used tools, you will discover that not only can you unlock the same creative impulses you’ve always had as you’ve picked up a pencil to sketch out an idea, but also capture those multiple ideas and “what ifs” during the creative process in ways that you never imagined. And for those of you who are just embarking on building your creative skills, you will be surprised at “how good” your work will appear, even at the outset of your exploration of the world of graphic design.
This course is a great component of your preparation for the Adobe Certified Associate (ACA) Graphic Design & Illustration Using Adobe Illustrator exam.
This course is the first part of a two-course series that covers the skills needed to gain a foundational understanding of Illustrator.
– Adobe Illustrator CC: Part 1 (this course)
– Adobe Illustrator CC: Part 2
Completion of this course will earn 0.6 CEUs.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to use Adobe Illustrator CC to create illustrations that include graphics and text.
– Identify the components and capabilities of Illustrator
– Create basic shapes
– Create custom paths
– Create graphics that contain custom text
– Customize objects
– Customize basic shapes
– Prepare documents for deployment
This course is intended for designers, publishers, pre-press professionals, marketing communications professionals, or people switching to a design job or taking on design responsibilities and who need to use Illustrator to create illustrations, logos, advertisements, or other graphic documents. It is also useful for anyone interested in working toward the Adobe Certified Professional Graphic Design and Illustration Using Adobe Illustrator exam certification.
To ensure your success in this course, you should be familiar with the basic functions of your computer’s operating system, such as creating folders, launching programs, and working with windows. You should also have basic Windows application skills, such as copying and pasting objects, formatting text, saving files, and so on.
Familiarity with basic design terminology, such as palettes, color modes, shapes, text, and paths, is highly recommended.
You can obtain this level of skill and knowledge by taking one of the following Logical Operations courses:
– Using Microsoft® Windows® 10
– Microsoft® Windows® 10: Transition from Windows® 7
Lesson 1: Introducing Illustrator
- Topic A: Apply Design Principles, Elements, and Graphics Composition
- Topic B: Evaluate Graphics Scalability
- Topic C: Navigate the User Interface
- Topic D: Customize the User Interface
Lesson 2: Creating Documents Containing Basic Shapes
- Topic A: Create Documents
- Topic B: Save Documents
- Topic C: Draw Basic Shapes
Lesson 3: Creating Documents Containing Customized Paths
- Topic A: Draw Paths
- Topic B: Modify Paths
Lesson 4: Creating Graphics Containing Customized Text
- Topic A: Insert Text
- Topic B: Apply Flow Text Along a Path
- Topic C: Insert Bounded and Threaded Text
- Topic D: Apply Text Styles
- Topic E: Insert Typographical Characters
Lesson 5: Customizing Objects
- Topic A: Import, Place, and Link Graphics
- Topic B: Alter the Appearance of Objects
Lesson 6: Customizing Basic Shapes
- Topic A: Apply Strokes and Brushes
- Topic B: Fill Shapes
- Topic C: Apply Graphics Styles
- Topic D: Distort Text with Text Envelopes
Lesson 7: Preparing Documents for Deployment
- Topic A: Update Text
- Topic B: Wrap Text
- Topic C: Hyphenate Text
- Topic D: Optimize Content for Print
- Topic E: Optimize Content for the Web
- Topic F: Optimize Content for PDF Documents
Appendix A: Mapping Course Content to Adobe Certified Professional in Graphic Design & Illustration Using Adobe Illustrator Exam
**Indicates a course that is only a half day.