Celebrating Diversity in the Workplace
More than ever, a workplace is a diverse collection of individuals proud of who they are: their gender, their sexual orientation, their religion, their ethnic background, and all the other components that make an individual unique. One of the challenges for workplace leaders is how to help these diverse individuals work as a team.
We all know what happens to organizations that don’t have effective teamwork: they fail. Failing to embrace diversity can also have serious legal costs for corporations. This course will give you ways to celebrate diversity in the workplace while bringing individuals together.
Completion of this course will earn 0.575 CEUs.
- • Dates: Nov 30, 2021
- • Times: 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
- • Location: Lexington
- • Seats: 10
- • Price: $325.00
– Describe what diversity and its related terms mean
– Explain how changes in the world have affected you and your view
– Identify your stereotypes
– Use terms that are politically correct and avoid those which are not
– Apply the four cornerstones of diversity
– Avoid the pitfalls related to diversity
– Use a technique for dealing with inappropriate behavior
– Develop a management style to encourage diversity
– Take action if you or one of your employees feels discriminated against
Session 1: Course Overview
- Learning Objectives
Session 2: Defining Diversity
- Defining the Terms
- Considering the Impact
- Defining Related Terms
Session 3: How Does Diversity Affect Me?
- Changes in My World
- Self-Awareness Inventory
- Making Connections
Session 4: Identifying Stereotypes
- About Stereotypes
- Our Reactions
- When Categories Become a Problem
- Some Common Phrases and the Stereotype Behind Them
- Your Experience with Stereotypes
Session 5: Wise Words
- Changing Times
- Changing Our Language
- Going a Bit Too Far!
- Ground Rules
Session 6: The Cornerstones of Diversity
- About the Cornerstones
Session 7: How to Discourage Diversity
- Common Pitfalls
Session 8: The STOP Technique
- The Four Steps
- Tips and Tricks
- Making Connections
Session 9: Managing for Diversity
- What Can I Do as an Employee?
- What Can I Do as a Manager?
Session 10: Dealing with Discrimination
- What is Discrimination?
- As An Employee
- As A Manager
Session 11: A Personal Action Plan
- Starting Point
- Where I Want to Go
- How I Will Get There
Recommended Reading List